Sunday 30 March 2014

Mother's Day Baking




In honour of my mum, this Sunday's baking session was focused on making her a delicious cake.
My mum is not a big fan of iced cakes and I was in the mood for making something honest, humble and homely - the sort of cake that you would find at a country fete. My mum loves custard and I have been mulling over ideas for a custardy take on a Victoria sponge, so today felt like the day for a bit of kitchen pottering. 

I had originally decided to use rhubarb jam to sandwich the cake halves together, but couldn't find any when I went to the supermarket. So - let's be honest here - the better option was to buy some lovely
pink forced rhubarb and stew it to create my own intense rhubarb compote.

Here's the finished cake in its custardy, sweet-sour glory. It is a tall, greedy looking cake and I'm pleased that it looks a little like a Lily Vanilli cake in style. This was unintentional, but certainly a happy occurrence!



If you're not familiar with Lily Vanilli's cakes, here's a link to her site.


2 comments:

  1. Looks delish. Did you use the custard as a filler between the layers or was it in the sponge, too? I've never thought of using custard in a sponge but sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josie,
      I flavoured the actual sponge with custard and then used custard as a filler.
      More is always more in my opinion! :) x

      Delete